Wednesday, February 25

Pictures of your kids with your fave Grandma... Priceless.

I know it's ridiculous to say I'm in a rut for writing.

Hi. I have two followers! Who is really going to protest with torches and charge my back door if I don't deliver more entries? [Enter protesters, now, please.]

So anyway. I'd like to think that most people with a creative brain cell tend to have periods of time when they are on fire, and ideas come pouring out of their minds. Other times the juices dry up, which is in my case, [but I have to say I would enjoy the former happening more frequently].

Yesterday I was catching up on some reading from the few blogs I do read, and I stumbled upon an entry written by Mom-101 who is hilarious altogether and I love her style of writing. Her most recent entry to date sparked something in me as well. The title was Four Generations of Separation. So cheers to her for reminding me of some of the important small things in life.

This week, Jason just downloaded a 700-something picture DVD of the past six months from my camera. Yes I am a bit neurotic about photography when it comes to my kids. I just don't want to miss anything in their life that could be captured on film. Like Peyton discovering how much of his fourteen month old finger can discreetly fit up his nose. Or Mason feeling so proud of himself wearing my dusty-but-still-stylish-old-work-Ann-Klein-stiletto pumps. Sigh. Or the look of astonishment on Justine's face as she watched the half demonic Elmo Live doll talking on Christmas night.

There are tender moments too. Like the photos from a June vacation our family took last summer to Florida to visit my grandparents. It was a trip unlike any other captivating emotions I had not yet known. I touched on these emotions before when I would engage in Skype conversations with my grandparents which was used so they could see their great-grandchildren in the flesh, even if only over the internet connection at my parent's house. I remember shortly after Peyton's birth we Skyped my Grandma and Grandpa, and prior to signing off my Grandma dabbed her eyes and thanked me. Thinking back on this I still feel the knot enlarge in my throat. Being a world a part from my grandparents was always hard growing up, but even more so now that I have kids of my own because I want them to know my grandparents and love them just as I do.
I know how unique and special they are, and to be able to have my kids know them is so important to me. When we flew to Florida it was a draining ordeal, with a six month old and 20-month old, but it was worth the efforts of traveling. We had heavy duty back ups: my parents and step-daughter who all could trade off with one of the kids if Jason and I needed to, like, pee or something in the airport.
It was the first and last time my kids ever got to meet my Grandpa. He died four months later after his kidneys failed, and he graciously bowed out of the endless cycles of dialysis. My Grandma, is amazing, in all of her might to move on and accept her life as it is now. After sixty one years of marriage, two quadruple bypasses, a valedictorian honor, raising five kids, a lifetime in the medical community, a hip replacement, and a forty-lap swim every day I believe I have a bit much to live up to when I look at her in all her glory.
Prior to the trip, I didn't know what to anticipate. But I was able to capture some precious moments. My Grandma's tender hands on my baby's feet, which shows an amazing contrast in the years. But my Peyton is squeamish with new people. I swear he didn't move from her gaze or the comfort of her lap for 45 minutes. It was those moments I was happy to record one after the other until my memory was full in my camera.

I think kids sense our hopes sometimes. Because there were some touching moments I was able to catch with Justine, playing cards with Grandma-- gently leaning over on my grandma's shoulder to accept some tips on the game. And Mason, who received a stuffed Cookie Monster doll on the floor from Grandma, I was able to catch him signing thank you to her with a small gentle smile across his face, and my Grandma's smile beaming across her with the evident visible connection between their two eyes.

I agree that it's not just precious for our loved ones to meet the little ones in our lives, but it's equally if not more amazing to see our kids open up a piece of their tiny hearts to love them in return.

2 comments:

Kathy Slattengren said...

Taking children to visit their Grandparents is priceless! We’ve journeyed from Seattle back to Minnesota to visit our families once or twice a year for the past 20 years. Our children are now teens and pretty much equate summer vacation with Minnesota. Although there are other places we could be spending our vacation time, our hearts always bring us back to our families in Minnesota.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for reading! Really! Sometimes I think I'm the only one rereading this stuff!