Thursday, March 19

Crazy guacamole cravings

While I realize some people don't appreciate the delicious addictive spread of guacamole, I have become increasingly hooked on it since my brother and sister-in-law have become residents of the most delectable Texas town: Austin.

They've lived there for four years now, although with my mushy mom of a brain I could certainly be way off base. Regardless, the foods of Austin are awesome, and as it nears the ten o' clock hour and I head off to bed, I normally tend to fantasize of wonderful snacks I know I will not eat right upon going to bed [and getting up for the gym at five am-- those late night snacks earn you every last one of those five pounds that refuse melt away].

So with that in mind, I'd like to pass on a recipe for some serious kick-ass guacamole if I do say so myself... to eat -ya know- in the normal dining hours of the day. It's mostly inspired in part by my bro, but I have read up on a couple of guacamole recipes and adopted a tip to add chilled cerveza to the mix and I must say it makes a delish difference.

Without any further adieu:

2 large or 3-4 small hass avocados, pitted [obviously. did i need to write that?]
1 small onion, grated or minced
1-2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 plum tomato, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 lime, juiced
Cilantro, large handful finely chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 T beer [optional]
Hot sauce [optional]

Mash the avocados in a large bowl. Don't be afraid to "git in there and git messy" as Josh would say in his nearly southern Texan drawl. Oy. Next, I like to use a microplane to grate the onion and garlic so you have the taste without the chunks. Add the tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and remaining optional ingredients. Season with S&P to taste.

Serve this up with tortilla chips to your heart's content. I never met a bowl of guacamole that I didn't like and didn't disappear in a long weekend.

Keep those mints handy post-guacamole as the gah-lic and onions will keep away most humans.

In which case, you have all the more reason to eat UP on this goodness if you want your children to leave you alone long enough to indulge on the fruits of your labor and then some.

Ole!

No comments: