Wednesday, September 30

Bring on the chowda... a la butternut squash

Ok. So I know I have been fairly inadequate in keeping this blog humming. I'm in a blog lull, so I'm throwing out a recipe I created for the fall. Not to sound conceited, but it is so delicious. Tested and approved by parents, the in laws, and the tough toddler crowd of the house this chowder is packed full of flavor. My only regret is that I didn't take a picture.

In any case, this was inspired in part by Emeril Lagasse who created a Winter Squash Chowder, but I thought it lacked some flavor [like I have any validation in the fine cuisine department]. So I focused solely on the butternut variety, added carrots and celery and extra herbs.

Butternut Squash Chowder
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
1/2 cup chopped bacon
1 cup sliced leeks, rinsed and drained in colander
1 cup diced red-skin potatoes
1 cup carrots, sliced thin [or shredded]
3 celery stalks, sliced thin
2 cups diced butternut squash
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt and pepper

Directions
In a large soup pot cook bacon slowly to render fat. When bacon is crisp and brown remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; set aside for garnish.
In bacon fat saute leeks for 3 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and squash. Cook, stirring, 5-10 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. I used my immersion blender at this point to thicken the soup a bit, but that's purely optional.
Add cream and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in bacon bits. To serve, spoon into hollowed-out squash or warmed tureen with crusty sourdough bread.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I had my first taste of butternut soup about five years ago and found I WAS NOT a fan. I am going to use your recipe and try it one more time!

Brianne Mull said...

Holy HANNA! I can get ALL these ingredients in JAPAN! I am making it this weekend!!! Yatta Yatta!!!!
It just going to take me awhile reading the labels in hiragana and katakana in the grocery store!
Can't wait to do this! I have been thinking about making soup for awhile. I am going to miss my LeCrueste (spelling?) Dutch Oven soo much this fall and winter! 99 percent of my cooking in cooler/colder months happens in that thing. stew, soup, casserole, warm, deliciousness!!! I have a lame metal japanese pot........sad. maybe i will spurge and buy a le crueset here...they have them at an outlet here in Sano. just stinks because they are costly and i wont be able to bring it home with me.
Thanks darlin.

mama in mayhem said...

ouch, the pressure holly! i promise you my father in law is a strict meat and potatoes kind of guy and i think he had three servings; not to mention my toddlers who usually don't touch anything unless accompanied with ranch dip. you don't have to use an immersion blender but i did just a bit to leave some chunks but smooth it out a little... the creaminess, and bacon flavor with the herbs make it awesome. [i hope]
and bri, i hope the chowder brings a bit of autumnal american cuisine to sano for you. my crappy hand me down kitchen aid pot does the trick and it's older and probably crappier than your japanese pot. :) it's what's inside that you will looove.